JustGiving widget

Sunday 13 November 2011

Day 5: Kabarnet to Eldoret - 85km


View Larger Map


Starting the day
Today was dubbed the most difficult day! Let me tell you it was. We had a 5.15 am start, transferring on buses from Lake Baringo to Kabarnet. Two and a half hours on a very pot holed road. Arriving at around 8/8.30 am we set out. The day consisted of the following: 16km of downhill, 26km of uphill and around 35 km left to get to the hotel. How can I describe today: tough, mental torture and painful but also beautiful, uplifting and insane! The 16km of downhill was soooooo cool. It seemed to go on forever and we got some incredible views over the Rift Valley. But once you go down you know you have to go up!

The uphill was staged, bronze (6km), silver (15km) and gold (26km - the top!). At any time we could say we had had enough and jump on a bus. I decided early on that I wanted to try my best to get to gold but if I was really struggling I would allow myself to step down from the challenge.





I cycled with a few different women on my way up the hill. Gemma, I found lost on the side of the road post a thorny bush attack! Poor thing, she had fallen off her bike into the thorn bushes and managed to get thorns stuck everywhere - really awful. I managed to prop her up with M&S jelly beans (thanks JCCT team! They really did work) and we cycled together up the mountain. It was great to have company on such a demanding physical challenge and we were able to motivate each other. I also cycled some of the way with Amrit. I want to thank both of them because being with Gemma and Amrit meant that I was able to distract myself from the reality of cycling up such a massive hill. It was tough and the heat combined with the continuous steep slop meant that it seemed never-ending. The last 2 km were really arduous and I almost stopped (being stubborn I didn't let myself stop). But I am pleased to report that I made it to gold!!!!

However, randomly I had no reaction at all. Everyone else was quite emotional about reaching the submit. I felt so physically odd when I reached gold that I couldn't feel anything emotionally. I felt emotionally empty and had to eat a lot of chocolate to make myself feel better (burned ! After a lovely alfresco lunch of pasta and veggies. We waited for the few finally cyclists and headed out on our final 35 km stretch. This was probably worse than the hill. I was so tired by that point I'm not sure who cycled the last 35km. My body was physically cycling but mentally I was so worn out. The sense of relieve at reaching our hotel was palpable.

It was wonderful to have experienced the atmosphere today, everyone showed a great kindness for their fellow cyclists. Motivating and supporting each other all the way. Every single woman put in 100% effort into todays ride. It was brilliant to watch and be part of. I wouldn't want to do it again but I really am glad that I did it and made it to the top!

Only 93km to do tmrw!! Fourth day of cycling...

More pics can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.796540735850.2285955.202909845&type=1&l=2b3290ff29

No comments:

Post a Comment