JustGiving widget

Sunday 13 November 2011

Day 6: Eldoret to Kakamega 93 km


View Larger Map

After the excitement of the day before waking up at 6 am to do 93km wasn't a happy thought. When I went down for breakfast I realised that I wasn't alone in being rather tired. It seems most of the other women felt the same. The start of the day was extremely hard work. Dubbed Day 3's little brother it consisted of quite a few undulating hills. The first hour was tough but I have now understood that it takes between 30 minutes to an hour to start feeling good in the saddle. The pain in my calves slowly eased and I relaxed into the ride. Within the first 30 minutes, I managed to get splashed by a bus and covered from head to toe in mud. This caused a bit of controversy as people kept asking me if I was OK because it looked like I had had a serious fall. I am told by those who saw the incident it was a classic 'have you been framed moment'. What's a bit of mud to an ex-archaeologist?!

The scenery was truly gorgeous. Rolling green countryside filled with corn, sugar cane and lots of tea plantations. People and kids lined our route shouting greetings at us. I cycled alone most of the day but I felt it was a good time to reflect on yesterdays cycle and the ride overall. Lunch was outside in a small estate (we have had very good food). Today I felt exceptionally hungry must be the 250km of cycling I have already done!

Covered in mud!
As with yesterday the last 20km stretch was hard as it began to rain rather heavily - soaked through again (my trainers may never dry off). Although while sheltering in the rain I had my second marriage proposal of the week! A man in his 50s who after a few minutes of talking to us asked me to marry him. He also asked me if I could come and meet his mother who lived around the corner. Sadly had to decline his offer.

We had an hours bus transfer from the last cycle point to our hotel for the night. Had a brilliant dinner at the hotel and there was even time for a dip in the pool (which was unexpectedly very cold)!

Kids that we gave a gifts of toys and stationary to on our route.
View along the route
Tea plantation
Making sure we get enough pictures of the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment