JustGiving widget

Monday 25 July 2011

A 30 mile adventure from London to Cambridge via the A505


So this weekend I was due to visit a friend for her b’day/leaving party in Cambridge. Having reviewed the weather forecast I knew, if I cycled, I would be rain free. Unfortunately, the London to Cambridge cycle ride was Sunday and I needed to be in Cambridge for Saturday – so I was going it alone. I got on my bike but decided that leaving from home direct to Cambridge would be too far, so took a detour and I started from Harpenden.

Primed with my 2 litre camel back, 2 gel pouches (the guy in Decathlon convinced me to try them), some nuts and chocolate covered raisins, 1 bottle of re-hydration mix and my mobile which has inbuilt GPS navigation system (tucked neatly into my new handle bar bag), I set off.

The GPS did me proud taking me through some lovely country lanes and a few easily manageable hills. I cycled until Letchworth with only one 10 minute rest where I scoffed down my nuts and choc. raisins. I was really enjoying myself - the sun was out and I was cycling through wheat fields, it was idyllic. I suspect that some exuberant texting to my friend, to let her know I was on time, was my downfall; as I then got lost in Letchworth. Letchworth and I are now intimately acquainted. It was also at this point that the GPS navigation let me down – it insisted that I get onto the A505. Anyone unfamiliar with this road should know that it’s very busy and has varying sizes of hard shoulder. I resisted the instructions and cycled to Baldock. Unfamiliar with GPS systems I thought it would have re-adjusted the route and so followed the monosyllabic voice that came from my cycle bag onto a road that looked just like the A505. But surely the GPS system wouldn’t do that to me? Would it?

As I cycled I did think that this wasn’t the type of road that I should cycling on. The cars were going fast and the hard shoulder was very small! But my GPS unit instructed me that I needed to cycle 4 miles on this road. After about a mile the hard shoulder disappeared and I was unable to continue cycling. I had option but to get off the bike and walk.  This had turned from a relaxing leisurely jaunt to go and see a friend into a suicide cycle.

Unusually for me, I didn't panick but I was worried that a  car would run me down as they sped past at 60 mph. I could see on the GPS map that there was a small B-road up ahead. I had no choice, I was getting onto that B-road and cycling in any direction as long as it was away from the A505!

As I cruised on the B-road feeling genuine relief that I hadn't been left as road-kill on the side of the A505, my mobile thought it would be a good time to run out of battery. Lovely, I was on a strange road riding to nowhere, certainly from the map on the mobile before it died I wasn't going North, and I had no way of contacting anyone - oh and the important bit no map (because I didn't make time to get a UK road atlas!).

Alone and lost I had one option keep cycling and find civilisation! It was fight or flight - you have to remember I'm a city girl. I have no idea about the countryside - it is a foreign land! But it wasn't long until I came to a village and was able to ask for directions. Turns out that I was only 5 miles from Royston - the next big town. The last 5 miles were easy, I peddled fast as I felt guilty for being late. I was supposed to be at my friends by 2 pm but I lost an hour...when I arrived at Royston I decided to jump on the train. A quick pay phone call to my friend to let her know I was on my way and then I sank down in the comfy train seat reflecting on my near miss with quite a few cars. Still that's 30 miles under my belt - not bad for a novice long distance cyclist!

I arrived in once piece but I think I gave my friend a shock as she opened the door to a shaking, big haired, and slightly sweaty me...but hey that is what training for a cycle challenge does to you! My friend has done a marathon and triathlon so she was well prepared to sort me out: a big gin and tonic, piece or three of chocolate and a hug - instant quick fix! Absolutely brilliant day that I won't forget for a long time.

Here's my route:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment