JustGiving widget

Sunday 10 July 2011

Training in the Cotswolds - Day 2

Summary of Day 2 - Cotswolds Training:
  • Somewhere between 35 and 40 miles cycled - Karen's Garmin says 35 miles (here's the route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98257260)

  • At least 3 litres of water plus electrolytes rehydration mix – much better today 

  • A lot of sweaty but happy ladies 

     

Our pre-cycle briefing  on Day 2

DAY 2!!! I feel extremely cheerful writing that. I have to say that when I woke up this morning I wasn’t sure if I could cycle today. I wasn’t in pain, nothing hurt even my bottom (Lanacane plus Sweaty Betty padded cycling shorts and no knickers really does work – I’m sorry I ever doubted this). I just felt a wave of fear at getting back on the bike especially as I knew I had a big hill to do first thing. 

 

However, I did get on my bike along with 49 other brave women. If everyone else was doing the ride, well so was I! My plan to get through the day was slow and steady. I definitely didn’t want to go with Reg in the support van (no offence Reg)! The hill wasn’t as bad as I expected and once I got to the top I was able to appreciate the fantastic scenery – rolling hills and beautiful coloured flowers. The Cotswolds really is stunning.

 

Stunning views taken during a rest stop

We cycled up and down three hills, through lavender fields and we even saw the Red Arrows fly past (perhaps they heard that Women V Cancer Group 2 were in the area!). 

 

A much needed pit stop!

Lunch was a welcome break and it was a great feeling knowing that the end was insight. The last part of the ride sped by as we cycled through villages back to our starting point in Lower Quinton. Noone seemed very clear as to whether we had done 35 or 40 miles today, who cares because either way I am proud of myself. I made it – this is the furthest I have ever cycled - over 80 miles in two days is a remarkable achievement. 

 

I am also proud of the Group 2 team – I feel honoured to be part of the group. I just hope I can keep up with them all when we’re in Kenya this November...

1 comment: