JustGiving widget

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Latest training news - an attempt to get fitter by running

Last night, I felt a sudden spurt of motivation: I was going to boast my training regime by running. And of course my ulterior motive was to prep for Military Fitness Training, which I have signed up to but for a multitude of reasons too lengthy to go into here, I still haven’t been to a class. I will definitely go next week – promise!

So, I left the house and ran for about 40 minutes. To anyone else this would be completely normal but anyone who knows me will be aware that I HATE running. When I say hate it, I mean I obviously can run but I just don’t feel comfortable doing it. People who run tell me: “You’ll get to that zen place where you really enjoy it” or “It’s so relaxing, I get thinking time”. I envy them because over the last 10 years I have never had a running epiphany, despite running a lot: outside, in the gym, alone, with boyfriends and even with a running group.

If someone asked me why I don’t run my usual line would be: "My legs are too short to make me a good runner!” But yesterday my usual mantra of ‘definitely no running under any circumstances’ was completely forgotten. I left the house in the dark (better to run in the cover of darkness – least I should scare the residents of Golders Green). The first 10 minutes were great as I ran up to the heath in my bright pink Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust vest, broadcasting to anyone that got close enough: that cervical cancer is preventable. The next 30 minutes involved my ipod battery dying (so no music to dull the thoughts of how awful the experience was), a dash through the high road in the rain, a few near misses with pedestrians and culminated in me having to stop due to hives all over my torso. That’s right I am officially allergic to running – the hives prove it! As I tried to stop scratching and get back home, I had one single thought: thank goodness, I won’t be running the 400 km in Kenya!

I have total respect for all you runners out there but I don’t think I’ll be joining you any time soon...

1 comment: