JustGiving widget

Sunday 10 July 2011

Training in the Cotswolds - Day 1

Summary of Day 1 - Cotswolds Training:
  • 48 miles cycled
  • At least 3 litres of water and disgusting lucazade consumed
  • 1 banging migraine 
Todays Cycle Kenya training was fantastic. The first in two days of preparatory training run by Action for Charity. Fifty seven lycre clad ladies and Ed made their way to Lower Quinton in the Cotswolds. Around 9 am this morning we were all nervous and uncertain - what did the team have planned? Would they want us to cycle hills all day? My own fear: would my bottom be fine by the end of the day?


My rental bike for the weekend.

Getting set up before the ride














It's fair to say, that as we began cycling I suddenly wished I had done more training! The morning started off well with a good 28 miles under our belts by lunchtime. It was a rather fast pace compared to my usual slow pedaling to work. Bearing in mind that I haven't cycled more than about 15 miles as 12 o'clock approached my energy was fading and I was an odd shade of white.

Sarah and Me before lunch
Lunch was at a beautiful country pub and we shared the venue with a piper and a wedding party! All a bit embarrassing when you're sweaty, have helmet hair and enormous padded shorts on. At lunch I took the opportunity to get to know my fellow cyclists. They are extremely knowledge about long distance cycling and have been fab at recommending me the best kit and essential snacks. I have a long list of things to get prior to Kenya.

I wanted to know why these women had decided to take on such a huge challenge. Their responses were inspiring and humbling. Some had loved ones who had been touched by cancer, others it was their own cancer journey that made them want to take part and for some it was the need to challenge themselves while supporting the three charities. These women have already raised thousands of pounds for the charities and in November they will be showing their support for women affected by cancer by cycling 400km - they are AMAZING.

Regrouping post a hill

Fueled by my carb based lunch I set off on my rental bike for the last 22 miles. It was not pleasant, the morning session had been fun cycling through gorgeous villages and past farmland. The afternoon was to consist of cycling up 3 consecutive steep hills. I gritted my teeth and powered up the hills to the best of my ability. The last hill was a 12% incline but I made it! In fact we all made it!

There was a great sense of achievement as we arrived back in Lower Quinton after 48 miles cycled. The most I've ever cycled in one day! I actually feel fine except for a spliting headache. Clearly I must get a better rehydration drink!

Feeling apprehensive about doing it again tmrw...wish me luck!


Half of the Women V Cancer Group 2 at the end of Training Day 1

2 comments:

  1. disgusting lucazade? hehehe - fab stuff! I would suggest one of the most important things is to get a really good [and properly fitted] saddle to take to Kenya.
    I think we've raised over £50 000 now? And still raising! I have my last event on the 22nd July...thank heavens for that!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog! just looked at the map for Kenya ride omg. lots more training. great weekend to see how we are all doing, now we know what needs to be done. thanks for this.
    Susan Boot

    ReplyDelete